Investment in Optical Transport has mostly been in core and backbone networks. However, to harness the power of the optical core and backbone, service providers must build out metro networks. As telecommunications service providers extend their networks into metro and access applications, opportunities exist for equipment vendors to deliver high volume, less expensive components, and systems.
To take advantage of the opportunities in this market, component manufacturers, equipment vendors, service providers, and financial institutions need to answer critical business questions including:
- Where is the market growing? How many coherent WDM ports are shipping?
- What is the adoption rate of 400 Gbps wavelengths? When will 800 Gbps shipments become material?
- What is the market opportunity for my product?
- Which equipment vendors lead the market, and why?
Table of Contents
Optical Transport Quarterly Reports
Dell’Oro Group publishes Optical Transport quarterly reports containing in-depth market-level and detailed vendor market share information on the following markets:
- DWDM long haul
- WDM metro
- Multiservice multiplexers (SONET/SDH)
- Optical switch
- Optical Packet Platforms
- Data center interconnect application (metro and long haul)
- Subsea application
- Coherent DWDM Wavelength (Operating Speed, Highest Speed Capable)
- Disaggregated Transponders (metro and long haul)
- Customer Segments:
- Communication Service Provide (CSP)
- Internet Content Provider (ICP)
- Cable MSO
The reports include tables showing manufacturers’ revenue, units/wavelengths/interfaces/ports shipped, and average selling prices. We also report by a variety of port/interface types, for example by:
- Multiservice Multiplexers: 155 Mbps, 622 Mbps, 2.5 Gbps, 10 Gbps
- DWDM: ≤10/40/100/200/400/800/1200+ Gbps
We also track:
- The Optical Transport market by region—North America, EMEA (Europe, Middle East, and Africa), Asia Pacific, China, India, Japan, and CALA (Caribbean and Latin America)
- Vendor market share by region—North America, EMEA (Europe, Middle East, and Africa), Asia Pacific, China, India, Japan, and CALA (Caribbean and Latin America)
- Vendor market share for port shipments (<40 Gbps, 100 Gbps, 200 Gbps, 400 Gbps, 800 Gbps) on the Data Center Interconnect and Internet Content Provider segments
- Vendor market share for WDM used in Subsea applications
Optical Transport 5-Year Forecasts
Dell’Oro Group publishes Optical Transport 5-year forecasts offering a complete overview of the market with historical data from 1998 to the present. The forecasts provide a comprehensive overview of market trends and include tables covering revenue, unit/port/wavelength shipment, average selling price, and regional forecasts for various technologies:
- Coherent DWDM Wavelength (Operating Speed, Highest Speed Capability, Highest Baud Rate)
- WDM (Metro and Long Haul)
- Multi-service Multiplexer
- Optical Switch
- Optical Packet Platform
- Data Center Interconnect
- Disaggregated WDM Systems
- Customer Vertical
- ZR Optical Pluggable
Click here to contact us for more information about the Optical Transport research program and purchasing option.