Jimmy Yu leads the Optical Transport, Microwave Transmission, and Mobile Backhaul Transport market research.
Mr. Yu originally joined Dell’Oro Group in 2001, and spent over four years as the primary analyst for Dell’Oro Group’s Optical Transport program and built our coverage of the PON market. In 2006, Mr. Yu joined Spansion, a leader in flash memory solutions, where he was a Strategic Product Marketing Manager for Spansion’s server memory subsystem product line. He re-joined Dell’Oro Group in 2008.
Prior to joining Dell’Oro Group in 2001, Mr. Yu worked for Deloitte Consulting in the strategy and operations group as a Management Consultant with a focus in the high-tech industry. Mr. Yu began his career in Northrop Grumman’s space technology group, where he was a lead mechanical engineer developing satellite communication subsystems and components, such as transceivers. While at Northrop Grumman, he also developed advanced packaging approaches for millimeter wave RF semiconductors, circuit boards, fiber optics, and photonics.
Mr. Yu is a recognized authority in the Optical Transport market and has written articles in various industry magazines such as Lightwave, Telecom Asia, and TMCnet. He has been quoted in publications such as Bloomberg, Businessweek, Converge! Network Digest, Dallas Business Journal, Fierce Telecom, Network World, SdxCentral, Telecom Asia, and The Wall Street Journal.
Mr. Yu is a frequent speaker at industry conferences and events, including Lightwave Optical Innovation Summit, OFC, OIDA, Photonics Society, and the Next Generation Optical Networking and Packet Microwave and Backhaul conferences.
Mr. Yu received a B.S. degree in Mechanical Engineering from University of California, Davis and an M.B.A. in General Management with an emphasis in Corporate Strategy and Finance from the University of Michigan.
In 2001, Mr. Yu predicted that the optical market downturn would be more severe and protracted than anticipated. His insight proved to be prescient, as the market only began to recover in 2004. He also forecasted the 2009 decline of the optical market, which returned to growth the next year. In addition, he predicted that optical system vendors would increasingly develop components in-house (selective vertical integration) as a measure for differentiating and reducing costs.
At the end of the day, I have one objective— to provide realistic market analysis to help you make an informed business decision.
- North American Optical Transport Market Grew 14 Percent in 2022, According to Dell’Oro Group
- Microwave Transmission Equipment Market for Mobile Backhaul Grew Seven Percent in 2022, According to Dell’Oro Group
- Mobile Backhaul Transport Market Forecast to Grow to $5.3 Billion by 2025, According to Dell’Oro Group
- Transport into the future
- 2022 – The Year of Coherent 400 Gbps DWDM
- Microwave Mobile Backhaul in A 5G World
- OFC 2023: The Terabit Era
- Microwave Transmission Market—A Look into 2023
- Optical Transport Market—A Look into 2023
- Fierce Telecom: Optical Networking Summit
- OCP Educational Webinar: Accelerating Pluggable Coherent Optics (DCO & ZR) Products