Stefan Pongratz joined Dell’Oro Group in 2010 and is responsible for the firm’s Radio Access Network (RAN) market and Telecom Capex research programs. While at the firm, Mr. Pongratz has evolved the program to address new opportunities with small cells, LTE, 5G NR, and Massive MIMO. He has authored Advanced Research Reports assessing the impact and the market opportunity with Small Cells, C-RAN, 5G, CBRS, IoT, and Network Services. He built the Telecom Capex coverage detailing revenues and investments of over 50 carriers worldwide.
Prior to joining Dell’Oro Group, Mr. Pongratz was with Anritsu Company for 10 years, where he was most recently a Senior Product Manager responsible for portable spectrum analyzers and cable and antenna analyzers used to verify base station quality. During his tenure at Anritsu, Mr. Pongratz also held positions in engineering and manufacturing management.
Mr. Pongratz research and analysis have been cited with the suppliers and publications including Barron’s, Bloomberg, Fierce Wireless, Lightreading, Pipeline Magazine, Telecom Asia and the Wall Street Journal. He has hosted webinars and speaks at industry conferences, including Brooklyn 5G Summit, OFC, Small Cell World, RAN USA, RAN World, and the Telecom Industry Association.
Mr. Pongratz graduated cum laude with a B.S. in Electrical Engineering from the University of California Irvine. He also holds a Master of Science in Electrical Engineering from Santa Clara University, and an M.B.A. from the University of California, Davis.
Mr. Pongratz’s research insights are notable for distinguishing between hype and reality. During the peak of the LTE hype cycle, he was among the few telecom analysts who predicted that the shift from 3G to 4G would not grow the overall mobile infrastructure market. For six years, Mr. Pongratz consistently issued negative 5-year CAGR projections for the overall RAN market. During the C-RAN and small cell hype cycles, he correctly predicted that the shifts from D-RAN to C-RAN and macro to the small cell would take significantly longer than expected.
I love wireless technologies and numbers - and the Dell’Oro DNA motivates me to dig deep and express the underlying technology analysis with numbers.
- Wide-Area IoT to Contribute $130 B of Mobile Infrastructure and Service Provider Growth by 2023, According to Dell’Oro Group
- Massive MIMO and 5G NR Added Fuel to RAN Momentum, According to Dell’Oro Group
- CBRS RAN Market Investments to Surpass $1 B
- Industry Voices—Pongratz: Will surging IoT connections help the suppliers and operators?
- Massive MIMO Moves to Center Court in Barcelona
- The Business Case for Cellular IoT
- The Shift from 4G to 5G Is Accelerating Rapidly
- Analyst Angle: The 5G Vision Holds Steady While the Forecast Adapts
- 5G Fuels Capex Growth: Total Telecom Capex to Grow at a 1% CAGR