Stefan Pongratz joined Dell’Oro Group in 2010 and is responsible for the firm’s Radio Access Network (RAN) market and Telecom Capex research programs. While at the firm, Mr. Pongratz has evolved the program to address new opportunities with small cells, LTE, 5G NR, and Massive MIMO. He has authored Advanced Research Reports assessing the impact and the market opportunity with Small Cells, Open RAN, 5G, CBRS, IoT, Network Services, and Open RAN. He built the Telecom Capex coverage detailing revenues and investments of over 50 carriers worldwide.
Prior to joining Dell’Oro Group, Mr. Pongratz was with Anritsu Company for 10 years, where he was most recently a Senior Product Manager responsible for portable spectrum analyzers and cable and antenna analyzers used to verify base station quality. During his tenure at Anritsu, Mr. Pongratz also held positions in engineering and manufacturing management.
Mr. Pongratz research and analysis have been cited with the suppliers and publications including Barron’s, Bloomberg, Fierce Wireless, Lightreading, Pipeline Magazine, Telecom Asia and the Wall Street Journal. He has hosted webinars and speaks at industry conferences, including Brooklyn 5G Summit, OFC, Small Cell World, RAN USA, RAN World, and the Telecom Industry Association.
Mr. Pongratz graduated cum laude with a B.S. in Electrical Engineering from the University of California Irvine. He also holds a Master of Science in Electrical Engineering from Santa Clara University, and an M.B.A. from the University of California, Davis.
Mr. Pongratz’s research insights are notable for distinguishing between hype and reality. During the peak of the LTE hype cycle, he was among the few telecom analysts who predicted that the shift from 3G to 4G would not grow the overall mobile infrastructure market. For six years, Mr. Pongratz consistently issued negative 5-year CAGR projections for the overall RAN market. During the C-RAN and small cell hype cycles, he correctly predicted that the shifts from D-RAN to C-RAN and macro to the small cell would take significantly longer than expected.
I love wireless technologies and numbers - and the Dell’Oro DNA motivates me to dig deep and express the underlying technology analysis with numbers.
- Radio Access Network (RAN) Market Reach New Record Levels, According to Dell’Oro Group
- Total CBRS RAN Investments to Approach $2 B, According to Dell’Oro Group
- Open RAN Market Expected to Approach $10 B, According to Dell’Oro Group
- What Comes After the C-Band?
- What comes after the C-Band?
- Industry Voices — Pongratz: RAN Forecast Defies Economic Forecast
- Massive MIMO Revenues More Than Doubled in 2020
- 5-Year Forecast: Radio Access Network Market to Grow Over the Near-Term
- Predictions 2021—Radio Access Network (RAN) Market
- 3Q20 Radio Access Network (RAN) Market Update
- RAN Market Quarterly Overview (2Q 2020)
- Open RAN Market Outlook (2019 to 2024)