Baron Fung joined Dell’Oro Group in 2017. Since joining the firm, Mr. Fung has significantly expanded our analysis of data center cloud providers, delving deep into capex and its allocation as well as the vendors supplying the cloud. In addition, Mr. Fung built and launched coverage of Smart NICs and is responsible for the Data Center Capex, and Ethernet Controller & Adapter market research programs.
Prior to joining Dell’Oro Group, Mr. Fung spent five years as Product Manager at Microlease, a global supplier of Test and Measurement solutions in the Wireless and Aerospace Defense markets. During his time at Microlease, Mr. Fung contributed and presented to the Satellite Interference Reduction Group (IRG) in addressing Ka-band signal analysis solutions for satellite communications. Prior to that, he held various applications and product engineering roles at Kyocera and Motorola related to semiconductor design, packaging, and test.
Mr. Fung’s research and analysis has been widely cited in leading business publications including Barron’s, Data Economy, EN Digest, EE times, eWeek, Markets Insider, FierceTelecom, Investor’s Business Daily, The Financial Examiner, The FinReviewer, and Wolcott Daily. Mr. Fung has appeared as an invited speaker at investor conferences such as ONUG.
Mr. Fung has a B.S. degree in Materials Science and Engineering from UCLA, a M.S. degree in Electrical and Computer Engineering from Cornell University focusing in semiconductors, and an M.B.A. in Marketing Strategy from University of California, Berkeley.
In 2017, Mr. Fung predicted that Cloud SPs would drive port shipments of the next generation 25 Gbps and 50 Gbps network adapters and significant growth in the Controller and Adapter market. The next year, he has been consistently tracking the Data Center Capex spend of the top 10 (hyperscale) Cloud SPs. His research anticipated that Data Center Capex growth will slow in aggregate in 2019 as the major Cloud Service Providers digested capacity.
Every day I strive to make sense of all the seemingly insignificant bits of information that I come across and turn them into tangible insights.
- Hyperscale Cloud Data Center Capex is Forecast for 20 Percent Growth in 2021, According to Dell’Oro Group
- Ethernet Controller and Adapter Revenue Declined 13 Percent in Midst of Inventory Correction in 4Q 2020, According to Dell’Oro Group
- Cloud Service Providers to Resume Data Center Capex Expansion in 2021, According to Dell’Oro Group
- 5 Year Forecast: Ethernet Controller and Adapter Market Growth Fueled by 100 Gbps and Smart NICs
- 5 Year Forecast: Advances in Server Architecture Projected to Lift Data Center Capex by Six Percent by 2025
- Predictions 2021– Data Center Infrastructure
- Data Center Capex Quarterly Overview (2Q 2020)
- Ethernet Controller and Adapter Market Quarterly Update (2Q20)
- Next-Gen Infrastructure Acceleration: Analyzing the SmartNIC Opportunity