Baron Fung joined Dell’Oro Group in 2017. Since joining the firm, Mr. Fung has significantly expanded our coverage on data center infrastructure, with an emphasis on cloud service provider capex, and server technology, and vendor trends. In addition, Mr. Fung built and launched coverage of Smart NICs and is responsible for the Data Center Capex, and Ethernet Controller & Adapter market research programs.
Prior to joining Dell’Oro Group, Mr. Fung spent five years as Product Manager at Microlease, a global supplier of Test and Measurement solutions in the Wireless and Data Center markets. Prior to that, he held various applications and product engineering roles at Kyocera and Motorola related to semiconductor design, packaging, and test.
Mr. Fung’s research and analysis has been widely cited in leading business publications including Barron’s, Data Economy, EN Digest, EE Times, eWeek, Markets Insider, FierceTelecom, Investor’s Business Daily, SDx Central, Wolcott Daily, and The Wall Street Journal. Mr. Fung has appeared as an invited speaker at various investor conferences and industry conferences such as ONUG and NetEvents.
Mr. Fung has a B.S. degree in Materials Science and Engineering from UCLA, a M.S. degree in Electrical and Computer Engineering from Cornell University focusing in semiconductors, and an M.B.A. in Marketing Strategy from University of California, Berkeley.
In 2017, Mr. Fung predicted that Cloud SPs would drive port shipments of the next generation 25 Gbps and 50 Gbps network adapters and significant growth in the Controller and Adapter market. The next year, he has been consistently tracking the Data Center Capex spend of the top 10 (hyperscale) Cloud SPs. His research anticipated that Data Center Capex growth will slow in aggregate in 2019 as the major Cloud Service Providers digested capacity.
Every day I strive to make sense of all the seemingly insignificant bits of information that I come across and turn them into tangible insights.
- Worldwide Data Center Capex Growth Attained Highest Level in Four Quarters in 1Q21, According to Dell’Oro Group
- Ethernet Controller and Adapter Revenue Grew 6 Percent as Inventory Correction Eases in 1Q 2021, According to Dell’Oro Group
- Hyperscale Cloud Data Center Capex is Forecast for 20 Percent Growth in 2021, According to Dell’Oro Group
- Supply Chain Implications to Data Center Capex in 2021
- 5 Year Forecast: Ethernet Controller and Adapter Market Growth Fueled by 100 Gbps and Smart NICs
- 5 Year Forecast: Advances in Server Architecture Projected to Lift Data Center Capex by Six Percent by 2025
- Data Center Technologies and Trends
- Next-Gen Infrastructure Acceleration: Analyzing the SmartNIC Opportunity
- COVID-19’s Impact on Data Center Infrastructure Capex