The Service Provider Router & Carrier Ethernet Switch market is evolving with new bandwidth usage and service delivery scenarios that are reshaping network infrastructures. Telecom service providers and cloud operators rely on IP/MPLS and Ethernet-based networks for their services and operations, and equipment manufacturers are developing carrier-class routers and switches that enable a broader range of services and applications, support capacity scalability and higher data rates. The role of Routers and Carrier Ethernet switches in service provider infrastructures is critically important and manufacturers are racing to include innovative hardware and software features into their products.
The Enterprise Router market is being transformed by the changing wide area network (WAN) traffic patterns driven by the adoption of cloud services. The evolution of the WAN architecture requires new capabilities in the routers used as gateways from the branch office to data centers and the cloud. The functionality of the traditional branch office router is shifting from hardware to software- based technologies.
The Router & Carrier Ethernet Switch report tracks the products used for both Service Provider and Enterprise markets.
To take advantage of the opportunities in this market, component manufacturers, equipment vendors, service providers, and financial institutions need to answer critical business questions including:
- Which equipment vendors lead the Service Provider and Enterprise markets?
- How are mobile backhaul, residential broadband, and data center interconnect requirements affecting the demand for service provider routers?
- How do service provider networks handle the rapid growth of Internet traffic?
- What is the mix of deployment between core routers, edge routers, and carrier Ethernet switches, and why?
- What are the features and services driving enterprise router demand?
- How is SD-WAN affecting the vendor landscape and access router market?
Table of Contents
Router & Carrier Ethernet Switch Quarterly Reports
Dell’Oro Group publishes Router & Carrier Ethernet Switch quarterly reports with in-depth market-level and detailed vendor market share information by customer and technology segments:
The customer segments we report separately are:
- Enterprise (High-End Router, Access Router, SD-WAN)
- Service Provider (Core Router, Edge Router, Carrier Ethernet Switch)
The technology segments we report separately are:
- High-End Router
- Access Router
- Carrier Ethernet Switch
We also track:
- The Router & Carrier Ethernet Switch market by region – North America, EMEA (Europe, Middle East, and Africa), Asia Pacific, and CALA (Caribbean and Latin America)
Router & Carrier Ethernet Switch 5-Year Forecasts
Dell’Oro Group publishes Router & Carrier Ethernet Switch 5-year forecasts offering a complete overview of the market with historical data from 1995 to the present. The forecasts provide a comprehensive overview of market trends and include tables covering revenue, port/unit shipment, and average selling price forecasts for various speeds and technologies:
- Service Provider market revenue forecasts with Core, Edge, and Carrier Ethernet Switch segments
- Enterprise Router market revenue forecasts with High End and Access Router, and SD-WAN segments
- Service Provider and Enterprise market forecasts by region
- Port detail for Ethernet (100 Mbps through 400 Gbps) and TDM (T1/E1 through OC-768/STM-256)
- Mobile Backhaul forecast for cell site, aggregation and edge Router and Carrier Ethernet Switch devices
Click here to contact us for more information about the Router & Carrier Ethernet Switch research program and purchasing option.