Huawei captured 29 percent share of the telecom equipment market, increasing its market share by 8 percentage points since 2013.
We just wrapped up the 2018 reporting period for all the Telecommunications Infrastructure programs covered at Dell’Oro Group.
For 2018, the top seven equipment manufacturers were Huawei, Nokia, Ericsson, Cisco, ZTE, Ciena, and Samsung. Combined these seven companies accounted for about 80 percent of the worldwide service provider equipment market revenue.
Additional key takeaways from the reporting period include:
- Following three years of decline, the overall telecom equipment market grew 1 percent year-over-year in 2018. The positive turn in the year was due to higher demand for Broadband Access, Optical Transport, Microwave, and Mobile RAN. The remaining equipment—Carrier IP Telephony, Wireless Packet Core, SP Router and Carrier Ethernet Switch—declined in the year. The two largest equipment markets in the year were Mobile RAN and Optical Transport.
- The worldwide Mobile RAN market surprised on the upside and performed better than expected in 2018. In addition to the strong focus on LTE and LTE-Advanced, the shift toward 5G NR continued to accelerate throughout the year.
- The worldwide Optical Transport market continued to expand for a fourth consecutive year driven by strong sales of DWDM equipment in China and to large Internet content providers for data center interconnect.
- Huawei’s revenue share continued to improve in 2018—gaining about two percentage points of share annually in each of the past five years. During this period, Ericsson’s and Nokia’s market share declined about one percentage point annually on average until 2018 when both vendor held their market share flat.
- ZTE’s share which had typically been at 10 percent dropped two percentage points in 2018 due to the U.S. ban that caused the company to shut down portions of its business during the second quarter.
Dell’Oro Group telecommunication infrastructure research programs consist of the following: Broadband Access, Carrier IP Telephony, Microwave Transmission & Mobile Backhaul, Mobile Radio Access Network (RAN), Optical Transport, Service Provider (SP) Router & Carrier Ethernet Switch, Telecom Capex, Wide Area IoT, and Wireless Packet Core.
More related posts:
- 2019 Broadband Access Market Outlook
- The Twisted Road to 5G
- Optical Transport Equipment Spend to Approach $80 Billion Over Next 5 Years
- Robust 5G NR Growth Propels Total RAN Investment Toward $160 Billion